I am currently an Assistant Professor within the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Bucharest.
My work is related to various areas of computational linguistics, covering topics such as psycholinguistics, computational learning theory, bias, machine translation, and text simplification. In addition to academic research, for the past ten years I have been deploying machine learning pipelines in production.
I’m also interested in sound art, algorithmic compositions, DSP, and modular synthesizers: former noize maker as part of godwana sound project, diy ecological research for chlorophylla.live, and part of HYPHA.ro initiative for digital autonomy.
Projects and Research
- Machine Translation Research Group
- Cognitive Evaluation of Language Models
- Legal Document Processing and automatic Legislative Screening for Romanian.
- EEG signal processing for Architecture Data, together with the University of Architecture and CINETic lab, partial info here
- Text Simplification, Language Complexity, and the development of Psycholinguistic Resources for Romanian, some old info here.
- Europarl Corpus of Dialectal Varieties and Translations from the British Isles
- Europarl Corpus of Native and Non-native Texts
- Entity Linking and Entity Recognition
- Ludwig Wittgenstein’s Tractatus Network in collaboration with Anca Bucur
- Machine Translation role-play course for NLP Master’s students
- Computer Networks packet crafting course materials using docker and scapy git repo here
- Archaeology of Intelligent Machines, tba
- Artificial Intelligence, tba
- room 203, Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Bucharest, 14 Academiei Street, Sector 1, 010014, Bucharest, Romania
- email: sergiu nisioi at fmi . unibuc . ro
- Mihalcea, D.S., Nisioi S, Clark Kent at SemEval-2023 Task 5: SVMs, Transformers, and Pixels for Clickbait Spoiling, SemEval2023, pdf
- Ceausu C, Nisioi S, Identifying Draft Bills Impacting Existing Legislation: a Case Study on Romanian, LREC, 2022, git
- Nisioi S, Uban AS, Dinu LP, Identifying Source-Language Dialects in Translation, Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Machine Learning (ML)—Theory and Applications, 10 (9), 1431, git
- Nisioi S. A Computational Exploration of Natural Language Varieties, 2020, pdf
- Štajner S, Nisioi S, Hulpuș I, CoCo: A tool for automatically assessing conceptual complexity of texts, LREC, 2020, git
- Abassi S El, Nisioi S, MDD@ AMI: Vanilla Classifiers for Misogyny Identification, EVALITA 2020, pdf
- Štajner S, Nisioi S, A detailed evaluation of neural sequence-to-sequence models for in-domain and cross-domain text simplification, LREC, 2018, pdf
- Nisioi S, Štajner S, Ponzetto SP, Dinu LP: Exploring Neural Text Simplification Models, ACL 2017, pdf, git
- Anca Bucur and Sergiu Nisioi: A Visual Representation of Wittgenstein’s Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus, LT4DH-COLING, 2016, pdf, git, demo
- Ella Rabinovich, Sergiu Nisioi, Noam Ordan and Shuly Wintner: On the Similarities Between Native, Non-native and Translated Texts, ACL, 2016
- Nisioi, S., Rabinovich, E., Dinu, L. P., and Wintner, S.: A Corpus of Native, Non-native and Translated Texts, LREC, 2016, git, pdf
- Nisioi, S.: Comparing Speech and Text Classification on ICNALE, LREC, 2016, git, pdf
- Şulea, O. M., Nisioi, S., and Dinu, L. P.,: Using Word Embeddings to Translate Named Entities, LREC, 2016, git, pdf
- Nisioi, S. and Nauze, F.: An Ensemble Classifier for Quality Assessment of Text Simplification, LREC-QATS, 2016, git
- Nisioi, S.: Unsupervised classification of translated texts, NLDB, 2015 preprint
- Nisioi, S.: Feature analysis for native language identification, CICLing, 2015, preprint
- Nisioi, S.: On the syllabic structures of Aromanian, LaTeCH, 2014, pdf
- Nisioi, S. and Dinu, L.P.: A clustering approach for translationese identification, RANLP, 2013, pdf